Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Town Of Don't-You-Worry


Well here they are.  My kids. At one time or another I have worried over each one of them. Matthew, (the one in the middle : ) ), is going to try my fragile nerves next-- he is going to Alaska soon.  Lots of people go to Alaska, right?  Big deal.  Sounds like an interesting place to visit. I agree.  It is an interesting place to visit.  In fact my husband and I chose to go, to that place where the sun never sets in June, on our honeymoon trip, 27 years ago.  If you imagine renting a car, a little hiking and climbing, a ferry boat ride to see the glaciers, and a picnic on the beach, then you imagine the sort of trip we took; the sort of trip most people take.  Matthew and his friends are not like most people, however.  They will be kayaking in water that contains whales, white sharks, and all sorts of sea creatures.  They will be hiking in the back country where there are no trails.  I'm reassurred they'll be fine because they have a map, compass, and have read literature on the habits of bear.  There will be very little communication so it's just me and my lovely imagination to fill the silence while he's away.  As much as this worries me, I'm thankful that he dares to live.  To taste life in a big way.  The experiences he has, have been/will be wonderous.  They're all smart boys-- while they are in Alaska, I think I'll visit The Town Of Don't-You-Worry.

The Town Of  Don't-You-Worry

There's a town called Don't-You-Worry,
On the banks of River smile;
Where the Cheer-Up and Be-Happy
Blossom sweetly all the while.
Where the Never-Grumble flower
Blooms beside the fragrant Try,
And the Ne'er-Give-Up and Patience
Point their faces to the sky.

In the valley of Contentment,
In the province of I-Will,
You will find this lovely city,
At the foot of No-Fret Hill.
There are thoroughfares delightful
In this very charming town,
And on every hand are shade trees
Named the Very-Seldom-Frown.

Rustic benches quite enticing
You'll find scattered here and there;
And to each a vine is clinging
Called the Frequent-Earnest-Prayer.
Everybody there is happy
And is singing all the while,
In the town of Don't-You- Worry,
On the banks of River Smile.
                           I. J. Bartlett

1 comment:

  1. I like that poem a lot! I'll be visiting that town while Matthew's away too : ). I can't wait till he gets back and shares all his stories and pictures!

    ReplyDelete