Saturday, September 12, 2009

Plumbing

On Thursday, I innocently put a load of clothes in the washing machine. Little did I know the trouble that domestic act would cause. Bruce, as luck would have it, came home from work at the exact moment the machine hit the spin cycle and the toilet began to resemble Niagra Falls. It overflowed big time. Poor guy and he'd had a good day too! After stopping the washer and cleaning up the mess,we found when we flushed the toilet, water came up the kitchen sink. Not good. We hated to do it, but we called a plumber. I always imagined plumbers to charge for their labor and parts like car mechanics do. You know how it is with a car, one little scratch and it's a thousand dollars. The plumber had to go under the house and then later he hefted a machine into the bathroom (to "stir things up").I could only imagine how much it was going to cost. I pretended to read a book and glanced up from it now and then to see what they were up to. Thankfully, Bruce stayed home from work to supervise the whole ordeal. I'm very glad he did because it is embarrassing to me to have people messing around in the bathroom. What did they see down that hole anyway? What did they bring up? I could hardly look at them. When the machine stopped, the men started talking again. I strained to hear what they were saying and then I was sorry I did because the shorter of the two turned to my husband and said, "Well, that's one thing women can't blame us for." Where could I run and hide? In the end, they were only here for an hour and we were charged approximately $150.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment