Monday, October 5, 2009

People and Patterns

I looked across the pond this morning at my neighbor's lawn and admired the pattern they'd made when they mowed their grass. It's so perfect! How in the world did they do that anyway? When I mow, I'm all over the place. For one, I cut across the middle because it makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere--like I really don't have that much to mow. Then, I end up in some sort of cornucopia pattern where I'm continuously turning corners. The pattern gets smaller and smaller until it disappears to nothing. It takes me about an hour to mow the lawn and I think I'm walking really, really fast. Of course, I have to take a refreshment break, but that's only ten minutes I swear.

I think some people just have orderly brains and everything they do turns out orderly. Other people, like me, have a lot of scramble up there. I remember when our children were little we had these spongy bathtub animals that stuck to the side of the tub. I noticed that when we had guests stay with us some people would arrange those animals in a straight line or geometric figure and others would arrange them in designs like flowers. You could tell who was visiting by the pattern on the wall, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment