Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Golden Day by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

  This was my neighborhood as I saw it yesterday. 


A Golden Day

The subtle beauty of this day

Hangs o'er me like a fairy spell,

And care and grief have flown away,

And every breeze sings, "all is well."

I ask, "Holds earth or sin, or woe?"

My heart replies, "I do not know."

Nay! all we know, or feel, my heart,

Today is joy undimmed, complete;

In tears or pain we have no part;

The act of breathing is so sweet,

We care no higher joy to name.

What reck we now of wealth or fame?



The past--what matters it to me?

The pain it gave has passed away.

The future--that I cannot see!

I care for nothing save today--

This is a respite from all care,

          And trouble flies--I know not where.

Go on, oh noisy, restless life!

Pass by, oh, feet that seek for heights!

I have no part in aught of strife;

I do not want your vain delights.

The day wraps round me like a spell

And every breeze sings, "All is well."



                                              Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment