Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Flowers

I'm not a Farmville farmer, but I'm occasionally reminded about flowers in the dead of winter because of those who do the Farmville thing. And then I think about one particular garden.

My great aunt had the most beautiful garden. There were hundreds of different colors, sizes,and varieties of flowers planted right in her back yard on a space the size of a tennis court (or so it seemed when I was seven). I used to walk the paths of her garden while my mother visited inside the house probably drinking coffee and eating small cookies. I had the better deal. Many of the plants were taller than me and there were a lot of butterflies and bumblebees.

A kid can pick up a few things about life while wandering around a beautiful garden. I shared some of things I noticed when I went on those pretty jungle walk aboutsto my children when they were young and feeling competitive with one another. No sense keeping all this garden wisdom to myself. It is my opinion that they, as siblings, should support one another and genuinely want to see each other succeed. Three flowers (I have three children) can be equally beautiful yet completely different from one another. In fact, the differences actually make their individual beauty stand out when side by side. One is not better than another. It would be silly for one flower to want to be like the other flower when each one has its own color and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment