Thursday, June 24, 2010

Colonial Garden Center



My daughter Janine (center) with two co-workers at Colonial Garden Center.  Working at Colonial (both last summer and this spring) has been a wonderful experience for her.  The people there are very friendly and she gets to be around all this beauty. Our youngest child loves plants and flowers;  hopes to one day have a career in Landscape Architecture.  Janine is known in our family for having an artistic eye.  We all ask her opinion when it comes to color and style whether that be cars, clothing, or gardening (we can't always afford her recommendations but I always like them). I suspect she inherited "the eye" from my mother and a few of my siblings. 



This is inside the main greenhouse at Colonial.  Working around these flowers makes Janine excited about landscaping.  She has to bargain with her dad about what she can and cannot plant because he likes to work outside as well.  If it were up to me, I'd say "go for it girl".  Working outside in Minnesota is okay, but here in Indiana it's just too hot in my opinion.


Not only can you get wonderful flowers, trees, and bushes at Colonial Garden Center, but you can buy rock, landscaping services, and other related items.  People that have lived in the Evansville area remember when Colonial was located on Green River Road.  They moved a few years ago to Newburgh just off the Lloyd Expressway on  Epworth.  Unfortunately for them not so long after they moved, it was decided that construction work needed to happen on the road right in front of their business.  Not good for a business just having moved to a new location especially when there is a road closed sign on the path people take to shop there. This would be tough for any business to tolerate for a few weeks.  Can you guess how long Colonial has had to put up with that construction?  Three years!  I don't know a lot about working on roads, but it seems to me it's not a lot of area to work on and I have to wonder what has made this project so complicated it's been going on for three years.

Recently Colonial had to lay off some workers to save money.  My daughter was one of them.  They hope to have her back in the fall when business picks up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment