Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Writing

Today I made progress on writing Murder on Sprinkle Lake.  I have to say it was a lot of fun, too, because I had three critiques in front of me to look at.  I like trying to figure out the best way to write something -- it's fun to see what others think too.  I tell ya, my critique buddies are incredible.  I hope they get something from me too. I always feel like I receive so much more than I give.

Someone asked about advice for beginning writers.  I haven't been published, but I do have an opinion on the matter.  Here it is:  1) The first and second time through don't worry at all about punctuation or grammar-- just let the story spill out and see what happens.  2) Have a bunch of  different types of people critique your work . 3) look at all the feedback when fixing. 4)go to conferences and book festivals to learn from other published authors and professionals in the field. 5) read a lot in the genre you're writing in and 6) never, ever give up!

The MidSouth conference in Nashville is approaching.  I can't wait to attend! Im all registered and everything. The Regional Advisor had much patience with me -- I really messed up filling out my application. We got things straightened out and in the course of talking I learned she wrote a book (not published yet) that is set in Newburgh-- the very town I live in.  Cool. Look forward to buying her book in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment