Friday, November 5, 2010

Pondering Ventriloquism, Sweet Farts, and Leaf Blowers

Isn't ventriloquism wild?  It's amazing to watch someone seemingly "throw their voice."  According to Wikipedia, "...Originally, ventriloquism was a religious practice. The name comes from the Latin for to speak  from the stomach, i.e. venter (belly) and loqui (speak).[1] The Greeks called this gastromancy (Greek: εγγαστριμυθία). The noises produced by the stomach were thought to be the voices of the unliving, who took up residence in the stomach of the ventriloquist. The ventriloquist would then interpret the sounds, as they were thought to be able to speak to the dead, as well as foretell the future."  I'd give anything to go back in time to see an ancient ventriloquist.  Wonder what he/she wore ?  If stomach noises were considered to be noises of the unliving, I wonder what they thought stinky gas?  If two people with loud stomachs sat in the same room, would the unliving be having a conversation?

Speaking of interesting noise, at the last writers conference I attended, I learned there is a new picture book out called "Sweet Farts" by Raymond Bean.  I don't know this, but Raymond was probably teased about having gas because of his last name.  At least he made the best of it-- nothing like turning things around, making money off it...   The picture book is about the invention of "sweet farts"-- eating one of those candies would produce the yummy smell of that particular flavor out the other end, if you know what I mean. I haven't read this, but I think the idea is funny and kids will love the book!

I haven't been thinking about ventriloquism or gas until this evening (went to Jalisco's and watched Terry Tator : Live from Las Vegas when we got home), but I have been thinking a lot about noise. This is because I now go for two mile neighborhood walks. I'm raising my metabolism and learning to hate leaf blowers at the same time.  Whatever happened to the good old rake?  They say we need more exercise, what are we blowing leaves around for?  The machine is sooooo loud and obnoxious!  Of course the beautiful autumn days when the sun is shining--it's not too hot or too cold--is when people think it's the perfect time to blow leaves. It's awful meeting up with one of them on a walk, but I swear there's nothing worse than getting comfortable on your deck watching the birds, the blue sky, the green grass and colorful leaves only to be blasted out of tranquility by a leaf blower.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on the leafblowers! Although I'm not sure how much longer we'll be hearing them... it's starting to get a bit chilly out there!

    ReplyDelete