Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Trolls

When the temperature begins to drop and the holidays draw near, I think of my family in Minnesota.  I go on a Sentimental Journey you might say.  The Buche de Noel reminded me of my dad because I do believe he used to actually have a Yule Log for the Christmas fire when he was young. 

These trolls are hand carved by my Norwegian father.  Silly me-- I thought I'd have the patience for sculpting and bought a little tool kit with different types of blades, found a small block of soft wood  (after trying a harder wood) and discovered that this carving stuff wasn't all that easy.  When I cut my finger, I decided it wasn't fun and set the tools aside.  Anyway, after that, I had an even greater appreciation for what my dad did/does.  Did you notice all the trolls have fish on their lines?  Yep, dad's a fisherman.  They live on a lake connected to a chain of lakes so his summers are spent doing what he loves.  If he's not on the lake, he's in the garden working with rich black soil.  They have many flowers and fruit bearing plants/trees.  I love where they live.  The side of their house facing the lake has a large window.  It's very scenic and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment