Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"B" is for Braving the Storm




I'm sitting in my closet as I type this.  Why am I sitting in my closet?  Because we don't have a basement.  My daughter has a guy friend over and they're watching a movie in our other closet.  It just feels silly, but not going in the closet or taking cover is just dumb.

 We live close to where the tornado hit a few years ago. My husband and I went back to bed that night thinking we had just a little bit of rain, hail, and wind, but nothing more.  When I woke up that Sunday morning, I found we were without electricity.  This was unusual because all the power lines are underground where we live.  The storm had passed and it was a beautiful day.  The sun was shining and the sky very, very blue.

  I decided to go for a milk run or was it a McDonald's run...  As I drove along I began to see signs of the storm. The Apple Center near us had a parking lot full of emergency vehicles.  And...what was that in the road?  A refrigerator?  The storm was a little more wicked than I'd thought.  A tornado hit Newburgh and some of Vanderburgh County.  People died.  I take cover when I'm told.

No comments:

Post a Comment