Thursday, May 26, 2011

"A" is for either Alligator or Annoying Bull Frogs

Since I have very little alligator experience, I decided to write about bull frogs.  We live by a pond, well people here call it a lake, but it's really a pond.

 In southern Indiana it gets hot in the summer. So most of the time the windows are closed and the air is on.  Anyway, May offers the opportunity to open windows; I like to open our bedroom window at night.  I love the cool breeze of spring on my back.  Too bad the damn frogs have to croak!  

I saw a dead one once on the side of the road.  Those babies are huge!  We have at least three in the pond right now.  They sound like they're playing bad bass instruments.  I have to give them credit for their rhythm though.  They keep a steady beat.

Counting the croaks just happens; it can't be helped. When it's quiet I count the seconds while I wait for the noise--it's like waiting for a hiccup.  This is not conducive to sleep. So after awhile, I begin an internal debate.  Do I want the pleasant breeze or do I want quiet?  If the ducks join in, that settles it.  The window is closed.

We used to hear coyotes, but it's been awhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment