Thursday, May 12, 2011

P is for problem

I just love this math problem because I got the answer very quickly and more importantly before my husband.  That doesn't happen very often so I cherish the few times it does.  We saw this math problem in the Evansville Courier years ago.  Here goes:  How do you get eight pieces of cake by slicing just three times?  I probably got the answer in seconds because it was about cake. 

 One year I told the kids that came to our house for trick or treating that if they solved this problem they could have all our candy.  There were kids sitting on our front porch with pencil and paper working away while other Trick or Treaters came and went.  Unfortunately no one was a able to solve this problem so they each walked away, one by one, with one piece of candy and the answer to a problem that stumped them whispered in their ear.

For awhile I was doing Kumon Math.  I think the biggest problem for me with math is my horrible memory.  Anyway, Kumon was daily repetition and I had fun with it.  My daughter, Janine, did it as well.  Back then we drove to Terre Haute once a month to turn in our work and to get a box full of new problems to tackle for the next month.  They allowed us to do that because  the closest Kumon Center for us was in Terre Haute (2 hours away from Evansville).  Now there is a Center in Newburgh and one in Evansville as well.   : )

I'll post the answer to this problem in my next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment