Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"D" is for Door

Go to fullsize image
I'm glad we have a friendly doorbell.  Knocking on the front door, or I should say, banging on the front door sounds so ominous and I hesitate to answer it.  If a person chooses to knock on our door, they knock hard for some reason.  The front door has two glass panels and in the afternoon shadows are cast by the souls in front of it.  This can be sort of funny, but it can also be scary.  One time my oldest daughter's boyfriend's parents dropped by on their motorcyle.  His mother just wanted to drop something off so when she approached our front door she didn't bother to take her helmet off.  I can tell you that was a pretty interesting shadow.  I didn't know whether to laugh or run.  She looked like an alien with a tiny body and huge round head.  It was tough keeping a straight face when chatting at the door.

 Another time it was a bright moon that cast a shadow.  My younger daughter couldn't sleep.  It was three or four in the morning; not a time you would expect visitors.  She wandered down to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator.  As she pondered what to eat the knob on the door to the garage rattled.  Gulp.  She made her way back upstairs to my room and shook me awake.  My husband didn't wake up.  Anyway  I sat on the stairs with her to listen for the door rattle.  Jumpy as we were we were staring at the front door.  A man's shadow appears followed by a knock and we shot up the stairs to wake my husband.  With both of us shaking the life out of him, he woke up.  As he stumbled downstairs to check things out, my daughter turned her cell phone back on and it rang.  It was her boyfriend outside the house.  She had told him about the doorknob jiggling and then shut off her phone.  He was worried so he came over.  It was his shadow at the front door.  The next day we discovered our garage light on.

No comments:

Post a Comment